Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lord of the Flies

Today was the last day of school for high school kids here in Fort. So, my class went out with a bang! I had treats all around. The first, for my Grade 10 English class - who has just completed the novel Lord of the Flies by William Golding; I made Pigs head-cookies-on-a-Stick.

Some of the pigs had facial blood, but most just had the little bit at the bottom of the stick. I didn't want to freak the kids out. Strangely enough, the kids actually preferred more blood... I should have seen that coming!

Needless to say, they were a big hit. Who doesn't like cookies? As we munched on the LotF, we watched the movie - the 1960s version is so much better than that made in the 90s. Here's some of my fearless kids now, facing the beast...

Liz, Kimika, and Nathan! Thanks guys for helping me get something more than a cookie shot! Oh, the action! As for what I did for my other classes? Well, I'll be posing that soon!

Until then!

post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow high school English teacher, I can totally appreciate these cookies. Your students must love you!

Unknown said...

How adorable! I bet the students loved them! I also love making cookies for my classes in a shape that is connected with what we are learning! I work with little ones so sometimes I bring in the undecorated cookies and icing and let them decorate! Of course , they love it!
Great job and happy summer vacation!

cookies and cups said...

your students must love you!

Cakebrain said...

I ended the year with my elevens on the LOF unit and the kids loved it! we played survivor games throughout! I never thought to feed them piggy cookies, but it sounds like a fantastic idea! That's a lot of cookies to make though...I have two classes of English 11 and that would be 60 cookies. That's an awful lot of piping with royal icing...not my favourite thing to do :(
Kudos to you for baking so much for your kids!

Mindie Hilton said...

I loooooove em