Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Cookies!

Okay, so I have to day, blog hopping always has me in awe of the amazing cookie photography that some of the other bloggers do. Things are always so nicely arranged, placed and the colours and textures simply shine. I have a harder time making nice photos. Having just moved to a new home (and out of a closed apartment with bad lighting), I assumed my photography would improve with better lighting and more space to stage my photos. Alas, I still find that is not the case. So.... I am officially blaming my camera. Sure, I need to do more staging, but my camera (as my friend pointed out) is more of an outdoor natural light camera, and does poorly indoors. Also it is about 7 years old... hmmm...

This week, I decided to play with the lighting outside and see if it made a difference, And it did! The colours were more vibrant and the cookies had much better shades. The only problem was that I had shadows.... which I will have to work on. here are some of the shots:




It was only when I focused on the north side of the cookies that the shadows got bad to the point that they drew attention away from the cookies...


Additionally, square-on photos suffered from shadow..


And side-photos took away from the cookie...



Again, playing with outdoor light did help. I guess I have a lot more to do. These cookies in particular were more of an experiment in photography.... again because of Lilaloa's challenge, but also because I really want to step up my photography; what use is it to not have good pictures?

post signature

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Try it during the golden hour- an hour before the sun rises or after it sets. No shadows.

Ranjith said...

Get a DSLR. Sony introduced few good once this year for a lower price point as well Nikon's D5000 series are really good.